Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Grammy's Sour Cream Pound Cake

The beginning of every year, people around the world make it their resolution to lose a few pounds they gained over the holidays. Here, we are doing a few other things with the pounds.... making cakes, and gaining a few (thanks to Baby D)!

I have been meaning to make this recipe for a few months, as it was one of my most favorite things my grandmother would make for us, but just haven't gotten around to it until now. But beware, this recipe is best with its original ingredients (no substitution of fat free sour cream or light butter), so if you are trying to lose a few pounds, this pound cake is not for you.

Ingredients:
3 Sticks Butter, softened
3 cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
3 cups sugar
2 cups Sour Cream
6 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Rum extract

Makes 1 loaf pan, 3 small disposable loaf pans, or 5 mini loaf pans

First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I prefer to separate the eggs first, since it seems to take the most time. I did not mean to color coordinate the separated eggs with their bowls, but it worked out perfect!


 Next, beat the egg whites in your mixer until stiff.


 Set aside egg whites in a small bowl to be added in later.

Next, combine butter and sugar. Then add egg yolk one by one as the mixer is churning. 

 

Next, add the baking soda and sour cream, and mix well. 


Gradually add in the flour, vanilla extract and run extract, and mix well. 


The final step is to fold in the egg whites into the mixture. I set my mixture to the Stir setting as I dumped the egg whites in, and then after about 10-15 seconds, I stopped the mixer and used a spatula to help fold them into the batter. 

Next grease your loaf pan(s). I decided to make mini loaves, since I had to take some to my Grandmother, since it is her recipe.


 Bake in your oven at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I cooked mine for 1 hour and 20 minutes. The top rack was done, but the bottom took another 20 minutes. The time range all depends on your oven and the size pan you are using.


 When they are done, they should have a crispy golden top and if you stick a toothpick in the middle, it should come out clean.


 Serve with some vanilla ice cream, or strawberries with whipped cream. I also just ate mine plain for breakfast, it is so yummy! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SHOP