Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Under The Sea Baby Shower

This past Saturday, I hosted a baby shower for my good friend Nikki. She is expecting a boy in April, and since her nursery is an aquatic theme, the other hostesses and I had a lot of fun coming up with cute decor and food for her Under-the-Sea baby shower!

First, I decorated the living room coffee table with netting (last used here) and my 2012 New Year's decor, with some new white daisies.


On the fireplace mantle, I used my vintage lettering, some ocean colored ribbon, and two crab trap floats ($2.29 each from here). What I found ironic was that the floats ended up looking more like baby rattles than actual sea-themed decor.


The dining room was magically transformed with the jellyfish chandelier. The how-to coming later this week!



I used a few more floats, netting, and pops of color from things I already had around the house, like the teal candlesticks. The plates and napkins were found on clearance at iParty, and the cute basket and cutlery is from the dollar store. I simply tied the napkins around a set of silverware and tied with a coordinating ribbon.


I made the same punch as I did for another baby shower, except this time, I froze the fruit ahead of time to keep it extra cold. It was served with Barefoot Bubbly, and some crazy straws I picked up months ago at Pier 1 on clearance for $1.50/pack of 6. They certainly made the Ocean Punch more fun, especially for the preggo mama and me, who couldn't enjoy the bubbly!


Since the shower was being held from 1PM to 4PM, we decided to keep the food light, as some people may have had an early lunch. In keeping with the theme, we made small tuna salad and chicken salad sandwiches, and put them on Pepperidge Farm's Goldfish bread!


 I also made a warm crab dip (recipe later this week) and added low fat Ritz crackers and Wheat Thins.


As if the Goldfish bread wasn't enough, we had to have actual Goldfish!


And for the sweet tooth, I had mini fish bowls (from the dollar store) filled with Swedish Fish and Gummy Worms. 


As recently found on Pinterest, I decided to stuff sugar ice cream cones with fresh fruit. Next time I would use the larger waffle cones, but I thought these held a good amount of fruit -blueberries and grapes filled the bottom, and we topped with strawberries, peaches, pineapple, and raspberries.


And then there is Wally the Whale. He is a cake I made with Funfetti cake mix and cream cheese icing, topped with raspberry blue straws.  He was so cute and so fun to make, I kind of didn't want to cut him up! But he was delicious, and served as the perfect centerpiece too!



As if there was not enough sugar in the cake, we sent guests home with little fish baggies filled with kettle corn drizzled with chocolate. 




So there is our baby under-the-sea themed shower! I was pretty happy with how things turned out, and would definitely use the decor and theme again. Check back later this week and next for all the details on how to make the jellyfish chandelier, Wally the Whale cake, and warm crab dip!

8 comments:

  1. How cute Natalie! Loves those nautical paper plates - we used those at Ana Sofia's Under the Sea 1st birthday too (except we paid full price - argh!). Do you do your own printables? What program do you use? They're always really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMMM, this is so cute! T is out of town and I'm catching up on all my bloggers.... LOVE this idea! And the cake- superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just stopping by because I'm looking for ideas, and your blog came up on pinterest. Just wondering--how did you do the shape for your whale? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that jellyfish chandelier! Looking forward to your "how to." Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The arrangements for this under sea baby shower were just stunning. I love all color combinations, décor stuff, cake and entire food. I am going to host under sea themed birthday for my daughter at some popular Chicago event space. Would like to use some of these inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and it looks like everything was done to perfection. Well done, you should be really proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really awsome idea , i really like it.

    ReplyDelete

SHOP