Years ago, my mother was a kindergarten teacher and had a student who was severely allergic to peanuts. Other children couldn't even breathe in the same room as this child if they had just eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, because it would throw the child into a severe allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock. Peanuts are the number one food allergy in children, and can cause severe symptoms, including death.
I am very lucky to have a healthy girl who still shows no signs of severe allergies, however, I do know a few babies who are allergic to milk, and other things. As a parent, it is easy to control their intake and exposure from home, but when you leave your child in the company of others, they don't know the risks of exposure that could threaten your child's welfare. And while your child may wear a medical ID bracelet with their allergies listed, it does no good if your child is allergic to peanut butter and the caretaker has not checked their bracelet before serving them a snack.
Smallergies, and they make a line of t-shirts for children that are cute, but are also in plain site to warn others of their severe allergies. My favorites are the Crab and the Peanut, but the Cow and Fish are cute too!
If your child or a friend has severe food allergies, these might be a great gift for them that is both cute and important, and it helps raise awareness for others like them. Check out their site www.smallergies.com for more information.