Thursday, September 29, 2011

Muriel's Apple Pie

I am not a pie maker, although I did make my grandmother Muriel's pecan pies last year that were amazing!!! My brother loves her apple pie, and since I had all these apples left over, I decided to make him one as a special treat.

Ingredients:
6-7 Apples (I used 6 and probably should have used 7)
1 cup Sugar
Cinnamon
Pre-made Pie Crusts (2)
2 Tbsp Butter


First, peel your apples and cut into slices. 


Next, in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of sugar, a couple Tbsp of Cinnamon, and stir. Once you get the mixture stirred, add another 1/2 cup of sugar and mix well.



Next, open up your pre-made pie crusts and put into a greased pie plate.



Preheat your oven for 400 degrees. The pie will take 50 minutes.


Pour the apples into the pie crust.


And on top, take 2 Tbsp of butter and cut it into thin slices, and place on top before adding the top pie crust.


I decided to try a fancy, old fashioned way to place the top crust on. I rolled out the pie crust and cut it into strips, and then wove the strips on top. I think next time I will just place the whole crust on top, cutting in a few holes for ventilation.


Make sure to pinch the edges to stick the crusts together, and make it look pretty!


My grandmother does not cover the pie with foil, but I did cover just the edges with foil, as my crust was starting to get really brown. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, check the pie and remove the foil, and let bake for an additional 5 minutes to really brown the crust. Take out of the oven and let it cool down enough to where it has set and is warm but not hot. Serve with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate indulgence!



So simple and easy - I guess that's why they say "It's as easy as pie!" My grandmother would love for me to tell you that this is also how you make cherry pie. Just substitute 1 can of cherries for the apples. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHOP