Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eleni's New York - Cookies

Valentine's Day candy and gifts hit the shelves the day after Christmas this year. And as much as I dislike Valentine's Day, I do love the candy and cookies associated with it. One of my favorite and very well known cookie companies is Eleni's in New York. You can purchase their cookies through their website, or other major retailers like Dean and Deluca

My favorite part about their cookies is their icing. I am not a huge icing fan... I don't go for the thick fluffy stuff. I like theirs because it is thin and crispy, but sweet! And today on One Kings Lane, you can buy their Valentine's Day sets on sale! If you are not a member of One Kings Lane, go here to become one!

Months ago, I was looking for a new Christmas cookie recipe online, and found an Eleni's Cookie recipe. At this time, I am not sure where I found it to give credit where credit is due, or to verify if it is the actual cookie recipe. However, it looks pretty close to what Eleni's makes, so try it out! Here's the recipe:

Eleni's Sugar Cookie Recipe

• 5 cups all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1½ cups unsalted butter at room temperature
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 large eggs, at room temperature
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy for three to five minutes. Add the eggs one by one and vanilla and slowly mix to combine. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and paddle.

Add the dry ingredients last and mix just until combined.

Divide the dough in half and shape into a circle onto parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll – about two hours. Roll approximately ¼-inch thick and cut into desired shapes.

Bake on parchment lined sheet tray until firm and golden around the edges – about nine to 11 minutes, depending on the size. Cool completely before icing. Yields about five dozen two-inch cookies.

Eleni's Royal Icing

• 3 tablespoons meringue powder
• 4 cups sifted ten times confectionary sugar
• 6 tablespoons warm water


Beat all ingredients on low speed seven to 10 minutes until icing forms peaks. It is important to keep all utensils and equipment grease free or the icing won't set properly. For stiffer icing, use one tablespoon less water. For thinner icing, add one teaspoon water per cup of royal icing. Add ½ teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency.

Leave me a comment and let me know how they turn out!!!

I did not receive compensation by either Eleni's New York or One Kings Lane for the contents of this post. I just really like their stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Those are SO pretty! I would love to make some like that for my friends for heart day!

    ReplyDelete

SHOP