Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year 2011 and Hostess Tip #3

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

With the end of 2010, we start what I feel will be an interesting year for 2011. My husband and I were talking last night about New Year's resolutions, to which I replied that I don't make any. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or dispirited, but years ago, the only resolution I ever made was to "be true to thyself".

In that spirit, I am not going to make resolutions that I know I can't keep for a whole year. Everyone always says they will drink less, eat better, work out more. Sure, I am going to try those things, but I am not going to kill myself if I throw a party and have a few too many glasses of wine.

So with the beginning of 2011, I bring you Hostess Tip #3: Be True to Thyself. In life, this is a given. You're only cheating YOU if you lie to yourself. This doesn't mean that you can't strive to be more or better, but know where you are right here and now, and what you are capable of. Life will be so much easier if you know YOU.

The same rule applies for many things, parties and celebrations included. Don't put on such a big production that you are so stressed out even before the party starts. Don't try new, complicated recipes the day of a big party, because you are asking for disaster. Don't try to overextend yourself on details that matter to no one but yourself. Know what you are capable of and what you are willing to say "to heck with" by the time guests arrive. Parties, dinners and celebrations, believe it or not, are supposed to be stress-free. The hostess cannot be frazzled when she opens the door.

In keeping with my mantra, be true to thyself,  in the past, I admit I have been the frazzled hostess. I have taken on too much and not given myself a chance to relax and enjoy the occasion. But lately, I do just enough to be "The Hostess" without all the stress. And this year, I turn the big 3-0, and instead of throwing a party for 100 people like I did 2 years ago for my husband (talk about frazzled... It rained 30 minutes before the party started, and it was a lawn-game themed party! Can you fit 100 people in your house?!), I think I am going to go the stress-free route and do nothing. Well, not nothing.... maybe get out of town, or have a quiet night in. I may have a few parties planned throughout the year, but the big 30 will be stress and Hostess free. Talk about an interesting year....

Best Wishes in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHOP