Monday, October 3, 2011

Pulled Pork Flautas

Over the weekend, we had people over for the Gator Football Game, and I made pulled pork, similar to this recipe here, using the Backyard BBQ Spice Blend from Savory Spice Shop. Since I had guests add the BBQ sauce to the pork as they made their sandwiches, the leftover pork could be altered for other recipes. I decided to make Pulled Pork Flautas, and while I order them regularly at a local restaurant, I have actually never made them until now. Here's what you need:

Ingredients:
Pulled Pork (it doesn't have to be leftovers!)
Spices
White/Mexican cheese, grated
Tortillas (I prefer whole wheat)
Toothpicks
Couple Tbsp of oil, olive or vegetable
Optional: Sour Cream, Guacamole, Fruit preserves


First, I microwaved the pork so that it would be warm.


Next, I grated some Mexican cheese. Cojita or any kind of white soft cheese works best. 


In order to make it have a little more Mexican flare, I added a bit of the Peruvian Chile Lime Seasoning from Savory for a little heat. Mix the spice well into the pork so that you cover every piece.



In a deep skillet, heat a little oil (I used olive oil, but vegetable oil works too), enough to cover the bottom, over medium heat. 

Next, take a flour tortilla and place it on a plate. Toward one side of the tortilla, place about two spoonfuls of pork and a little cheese on top. You don't want to make the tortilla too full, because you have to make sure you can roll it up all the way.


Fold your tortilla on two sides, and then roll. Use one toothpick, broken in half, to secure the flap. 



It is difficult to cook with oil while holding a camera, so I have no photos of what to do next. Place your flautas into the oil and continue to turn them until all sides are brown. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel before serving.

I served our pork flautas with guacamole, sour cream, and blackberry preserves.  I have to tell you that while I love pork and guacamole together, the blackberry adds a little sweetness to the salty and spicy pork, and it was AMAZING! I dare you to try!



These were so good, that I may just make pulled pork for flautas instead of sandwiches! Even my husband gave me kudos for turning leftovers into something so yummy and new! Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHOP